Saturday, July 11, 2009

New Breakfast in the Sugarless Kitchen


Darn if I didn't create a great breakfast this morning. I made French Toast out of a Cranberry Cornbread that I made for last night's desert. I topped the French Toast with stewed strawberries for me and my Husband and stewed apples for my Mom who is visiting. We all enjoyed.

I made the cornbread with a combination of soya flour and corn flour and cornmeal. I used 1 cup of soya flour; 1 cup of corn flour and 1 cup of cornmeal. I sweetened with 8 packets of Splenda. I added one tsp of baking powder; 1 tsp of baking powder; 1/2 tsp of salt to the dry ingredients ( I mixed the wet ingredients and dry ingredients separately as you do with any cake made from scratch). I made up the wet ingredients with 1 tsp of vanilla; 1 egg; 3 tbls olive oil; 1/2 cup cranberries (I used wild ones) and 1 cup of unsweetened soya milk (adding somemore as it seemed that the mixture was too dry). I mixed the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients; mixed it then baked in a 350 oven until firm to the touch in the middle (about 1/2 hour). I got a nice little cornbread that I served with stewed strawberries topped with low calorie French Vanilla flavoured yogurt for my Husband and Mom (only berries for me as I am off all dairy products as well).

My Cranberry Cornbread was well received for both desert last night and again as French Toast this morning. So far success in the "Sugarless Kitchen".

All my chores are done. I wish I could take a walk in the woods. But, there have been several sightings of a large, bold, back bear and one sighting of a cougar in the last couple of weeks. I would have to carry a shot gun and I don't feel like doing that. For some reason; I don't mind carrying a shot in the Fall; I guess because Fall is the "hunting and gathering season". Oh, well I will satisfy myself with a walk down to the lake to turn off the water pump for my Husband who is pouring concrete today.

No comments:

Post a Comment