Friday, July 10, 2009

What to do for Breakfast


What to do for Breakfast?

I used to have oatmeal cereal beefed up with oat bran, wheat bran and wheat germ. I used to fortify that with flax seed and half a ripe banana topped off with vanilla flavored soy milk. I never did put sugar in it; always used Splenda. Well, that does not work for me now. I decided to have a fried egg on one of my corn wraps.

Well, I like to put salsa on a fried egg. But, salsa has sugar. So, I made up something to approximate salsa. The first thing that I needed was a can of crushed tomatoes. Guess what? Most brands of canned tomatoes have sugar in them. I did manage to find a can of tomatoes that did not have sugar: Hunt's brand. Thank you Hunt's.

I minced some onions and added some spices: oregano, basil, parsley, garlic salt then added it to the crushed tomatoes; mixed and put in a tight fitting jar. I use this in the place of salsa. I do not think that it will keep more than 4 or 5 days. So, I plan to make mixed beans and use whatever crushed tomato mix that I have remaining.

I made a very satisfying breakfast with one fried egg on a corn wrap with my home made salsa mixture on top. I added some fruit on the side; cut up strawberries with a half a cut up ripe banana. I also enjoyed a weak cup of coffee, sweetened with Splenda and whitened with unsweetened soy milk.

That takes care of breakfast for the time being. I will have to devise something else for a change: maybe cranberry pancakes made with cornflour and topped with cooked strawberries or maybe apples.
Hume; I will have to think about it; I think that I will take a walk down to the lake............


No comments:

Post a Comment